Using Opentag’s session-based filters, you can setup your container so that on a conversion page only a limited number of [Affiliate] scripts trigger. Opentag is equipped to count the events when a script did not fire due to a session condition not being satisfied.
How to setup de-duplication
When creating a container, first of all, make sure you have clicked on the dedupe checkbox.
Heads up! Activating the de-dupe checkbox changes how filters work slightly.
Choose a URL filter that determines on which pages deduplication should happen. Make sure you have a URL filter set up at the top of the filters list.
Additionally, Choose a Session Variable Filter that determines under which conditions the script should fire on.
After you have set a script up with the above mentioned settings, Opentag will start keeping count of every time when that script fired and also when that script did not fire.
With the de-dupe checkbox active, both of these filters must pass in order for the tag to fire. However, if the first filter is true, and the second filter is false, the tag will be tracked as an “Untriggered Script” and can be viewed in your Opentag Dashboard.
Example: fire a tag on a last-click basis
Let’s say you only want to fire an Affiliate Window tag when the customer reaches the confirmation page (
confirmation.html), and a publisher from the Affiliate Window network was the last referrer.
Step 1: Add an include URL-based filter
- Name the filter “only run on the confirmation page”
- Type “confirmation.html” in a URL contains filter
- Save it
Step 2: Add a include Session-based filter
- Click “filter based on” and select “session variables”
- Click the dropdown and select “last landing page”
- Input select “containing” and input “awin” into the box
- Save it
Note: The above filter is based off landing page parameters, so you’ll need to ensure you know what the landing page parameters Affiliate Window are sending customers to your site with.
Step 3: Check the “dedupe” checkbox
Check it on the “Advanced features > Settings” tab, and then you’re done!
To see your de-duplication reports, just go to the Statistics tab in your Opentag account and expand the container you are interested in.
To view the de-duplication stats:
- Log into your Dashboard and click “Statistics” toward the right side of the top nav bar.
- Now find the container on the site you’re concerned with.
- You’ll see stats for Container Loads, Avg Loading Time, Triggered Scripts, and Untriggered Scripts
- Untriggered Scripts will give you a full list of your scripts and the number of times each would have fired in the past week but didn’t because of de-duplication rules.
Note: Please use deduplication reports as an indicator for your affiliate reporting. Do not use them for audit purposes.
Was this helpful? Yes | No